Monday, September 26, 2016

An update on those tracking devices

So two weeks ago, I wrote that I had stopped wearing my fitbit. My timing was interesting, as this week, I've read a long-term study showing that wearables that measure fitness don't actually help people lose weight.
Pictured: Not my feet

Admittedly, most people who buy their wearable understand that. Most people who buy the device are just hopeful that it will act like a reminder that they need to move more often or will help them track their movements throughout the day. But they may become (like me) discouraged when faced with the evidence of how little they actually move in their day.

So, what does work? The key is that you have to find your own motivation and use that. For one person, it might be so they are fit enough to play with their children, for another person, it might be to look great for a cruise, for another person, they may just want to look good for their partner again.

How you find your motivation, however, is a completely different story.

Do you wear a fitness device? How do you feel about it? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment