Monday, March 21, 2016

Another reason why my son isn't listening to me

My son and I have a deal to help him get through his school morning routine: If my little bear completes his tasks early (dressed, teeth and hair brushed) then he is allowed to play on his iPad. This gives me enough time to make his lunch and do my hair and make-up.

I have noticed that when time is up, I need to tap him on the shoulder to get his attention. Simply calling him when it is time to leave for school doesn't work. I am used to this and have accepted it as the only way to fully get his attention away from Fruit Ninja.

So, it was good to learn that my having to physically get his attention is quite normal. Evidently, we tend to go a little deaf when focusing on highly visual tasks - this includes time spent on our mobile devices. This bout of temporary inattentional deafness that he has makes me feel better. It reassures me that he's not ignoring me in the morning on purpose.

What tasks do you get so engrossed in that you are unable to hear other people talking to you? Share your list in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment