Monday, September 21, 2015

Keeping your eyes on the prize

I can remember my first pair of glasses that I wore at four years old. They were 1980s-style (too-big-for-your-face) with a little cluster of strawberries on the arms near the hinge. I have had very poor eyesight for my entire life. My wonderful husband, however, has excellent eyesight. And thankfully, our son seems to have his Daddy's beautiful eyes.

Because I have struggled with vision issues, I am sensitive to any information around eye care. So I was excited to hear about the latest research around improving your child's vision. And the crux of that research relies on one idea: Get outside.

A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association indicated that the simple act of spending times outdoors in the sunlight can reduce the risk of nearsightedness developing in children.

I spent plenty of time outdoors when I was little and I am sure that the sunlight and fresh air did wonders for my health. And since I already think a lot about my son's overall screentime, it is important for me to equip myself with the same statement that my parents used on me:
It's time to go outside and play for a while.
Do you worry about your child's eyesight? Share your thoughts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment