Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Cave-Grandmas wanted more grandchildren, too

I like having my Mom over for dinner.

There are many reasons why, including that I think she needs a break from working all week, I like to cook, and I think family meals are important. But the real reason is because it is a really great way for her to spend time with her grandson.

I love watching the two of them together, because they have a such a special bond. In fact: Thanks, Mom, for being such a wonderful Grandmother.

There is a new (somewhat controversial) theory expanding on the idea that Grandmothers acquired longevity to ensure their offspring could have larger families. The theory says that our early ancestors needed help in taking care of larger families and who better to handle that task than Grandma? The new theory gets a bit speculative, implying that Grandma's ability to watch the children lead to a stronger pair bonding between men and women and monogamy over time. 

(So, thanks to all the Moms out there who just really wanted to see their daughters settled and would do anything to make that happen.)

I am not sure how the research will pan out, but for now, I think we should all agree on one thing: Grandmas are cool. In fact, all grandparents are cool. My only wish is that they all lived a little closer to come over for dinner more often.

What do you hope your child learns from their grandparents? Tell me in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment