Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Science cracked the biological clock

I didn't believe that there was such a thing as a biological clock. And then I reached my late 20s and really, really wanted a baby. Fortunately for me, I already had the perfect guy and we were on the same path to marriage, baby and happily ever afterhood. I have a lot of friends who heard the ticking of their clocks earlier in life and had several children before I had my first. And I have a few friends who wanted to get their careers in order and didn't mind putting baby plans on hold.

And when I say "have a few friends" I mean women. Because although both men and women have a biological clock, the decision around having a family is mostly the woman's. And science is backing that up.

In a study published in the journal Human Reproduction, researchers found that when it comes time to have a baby, a woman's age is more important than a man's in the decision. You are probably thinking that we didn't need a study to tell us that, because it seems like common sense.

But wait, there's more.

The researchers plugged various conception scenarios into a computer and this is what it churned out: If a couple wants only one child and doesn't want to use IVF, they have a 90% chance of succeeding if they start trying before the woman turns 32. If they want two children, they should start before she turns 27.

As if you needed more pressure to start your family.

In truth, the study was done in the hopes that it would help people understand the risk factors associated with pregnancies after the age of 35.

What age were you when you heard your biological clock ticking? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment