Monday, December 15, 2014

Yes, of course your phone is hurting your relationship

On the (sadly) rare occasion that I leave my desk for lunch, I take my phone with me. I know I cannot successfully walk and text, but I will usually type out a brief note to my husband on the escalator ride through my building, and maybe another note as I am waiting in line to order food. I am thankful for those few interactions with my husband on an otherwise rushed day.

Fast forward to being at home.

I don't want to see his phone at the dinner table, but sometimes it is there anyway. He doesn't want me to catch up on my games when I could be talking to him while making dinner, but I do. And sometimes both of us are ingesting alternative content while we are "watching" TV together.

Our phones are keeping us apart. And we're not the only ones.

Penn State researchers have released a study indicating there is a relationship between frequent technology interruptions and low satisfaction within couples. In other words: We need to turn our devices off.

Easier said than done, right? So, let's start with some rules that you can discuss with your partner and move forward from there:
  1. No devices at dinner time. Take back your family dinner and talk to each other.
  2. People in front of you come first. The ringing phone can wait - that is what voice mail is for.
  3. One screen at a time.
Yes, I know, it's hard to put the phone down. But I'm pretty sure your family is worth it. (I know that mine is.) Start small, forgive yourself for slipping up. And enjoy life in real time.

What's the one thing about your phone you really hate? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment