Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Taking back my lunches

A few weeks ago, I wrote about how we are all eating more and more meals by ourselves. When it comes to lunches, that doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is that I am eating those meals at my desk.

Once upon a time, I used to leave my desk every day for lunch. I would find a quiet spot - outside when it was nice - and eat, relax, soak up some sun, people watch and read. (This is one of the ways I was able to complete my 100 book challenge last year.)
 
These days, I am spending my lunch hours listening to others talk during a meeting, hoping that I remembered to put myself on mute so that others don't hear me crunching on carrots.

Well, I am taking back my lunches.

Like all things, though, this will require some baby steps. So I am shooting for three lunch breaks a week away from my desk. Here are my rules:
  • It doesn't have to be at lunch time. Since I work with lots of folks on the opposite coast as me, I understand that we only have so many overlapping hours during the day. I am OK with taking an hour break away from my desk at a later time in the afternoon, if needed.
  • Human interaction is important, but not the goal. Sure I have my almost weekly lunch date with my husband, and I'd like for at least one other of those lunch breaks to be with another friend or coworker, but it's not a deal breaker.
  • Be outside whenever possible. I don't need the vitamin D lecture from my doctor this year.
As I read more and more about how busy we are (except for me, I am totally not busy), and read more information about how we are taxing our brains to the detriment of our creativity, I know that something in my life has to change.

So, why not start with lunch and see how it goes?

What about you? Do you break for lunch every day or do I need to tell you how many germs are living on your keyboard? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment