Monday, January 8, 2018

Risks now; calmness later

Over the holiday break, I had many opportunities to listen to my husband and son play. This, to my ears, consists of repetitive cycle of squealing, tickling, help-me, going-back-for-more, jumping, breathless fun, that I fully admit I don't entirely understand.

During those sessions, I am thankful for several things:
  • My wonderful husband, who plays with our son in this way, so that he understands boundaries and gets out his energy.
  • That this kind of challenging play in our youth can help us avoid anxiety later on in life
  • The door to my office that I can close to drown out the noise.
  • Advil.
When I challenge my son to play, it is usually to a game with rules that we can all understand. But, I don't want you to think that I am a fuddy-duddy. There have been lots of times when I have stalked my son through the house to plant a very wet raspberry on his stomach. He giggles like crazy when I do this and then immediately wants to snuggle afterward, because Mommy is supposed to be about warmth and safety.

No one suspects a Mommy zerbert.

So yeah...play games. It reduces stress for everyone in the long run.

What is your family's favorite game to play? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment