Wednesday, January 10, 2018

How high school teen movies will need to change

Think about the teen movies you used to watch from the 80s to the 2000s. Try to name one without a teenage party of some sort taking place. I'll wait.

I am the first to admit that I don't have a wide knowledge of all the teen movies that came out in that time frame, but I can't think of one that doesn't have a major party scene or huge social event in it. At the very least is a major dance scene. (And everyone knows the steps.)

While I am a fan of angst and teen problems and great choreography, all of that is going to have to change. Modern-day teen movies (to be more realistic) are going to have to incorporate montages of teens chatting on their phones in place of major social events.

Teens just don't hang out the way they used to. If you are wondering who says that it is true, it is from the mouth of teens. The hours that they used to spend hanging out are now spent in academic or extra curricular pursuits. There's no free time to plan taking over another teenager's home for a giant party, or attending after school classes to learn the group choreography for the big scene at prom.

I'm not saying that school dances won't still happen, but I am curious if they are as big a deal as they used to be. And even though my movie repertoire currently consists of kids flicks, I'll be interested in seeing if teen movies start reflecting real life.

What's your teen's social life like? (Do you know?) Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment