Monday, June 5, 2017

Men at play

I do not understand the way my husband and son play together.

Yes, I have read the research around the importance of fathers and the way they play with their children. I understand that fathers encourage their children to take more risks and explore the world. I also understand how important it is for children to play differently with each parent; it's their first level of learning how playing is defined on an individual level.

But, when I hear my son's shrieking from the next room, followed by giggling, then yelling, then laughter from both, then annoyance, rough-housing, more yelling, tattling and then going back in for more...I have to question the sanity of my household. I don't understand how my husband and son play together. Is that...is that fun? It doesn't look like (or sound like fun). But they are both egging each other on...so I guess they like it.

I don't get it.

What really weirds me out is knowing that if we had had a daughter, my husband's brain would most likely be wired differently to respond to her needs. Really. His whole brain. With different "play" wiring. Just because of gender.

Sometimes I think life is a little easier when we don't know all the things.

In the meantime, the next time I hear escalated noise from the next room over, I will try to remind myself that my husband and my son are enjoying each other's company in their unique way and that I don't have to understand it. It's just how they are both hard wired to play.

What is your favorite way to play with your children? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment