Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Switching between work and family

I've talked before about how my brain is compartmentalized. I have a hard time moving between work and family life without a transition period in between (which is why I've been able to make my peace with traffic).

What can I say? I like to keep my work stuff at work and my home stuff at home.

I wish I didn't have this problem, as it would make it easier for me to do things like work from home, handle family items in my work day and not get annoyed when I end up working late.

So, it is slightly comforting to hear that this inability to handle cross interruptions between work time and family time is normal.

There are tips, of course. (There are always tips.) They all have to do with the ability to schedule breaks in your day - to create times at work to handle family items and to set expectations for working at home (like after the children have gone to bed).

I'm just not sure my brain can handle it.

Are you good about dealing with work life at home and home life at work? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment