Friday, May 26, 2017

The daily problem of what to wear

My son's school recently took a vote to decide if they were going to continue the uniform policy for next year. The votes were intended to be one per family and I am sure many parents voted for their children, but I let my son vote. It is, after all, his body and his day and I think he should have a choice in what he wears.

I work for a company of various dress codes. I am fortunate enough to be in a non-customer facing division allowing me to dress somewhat casually. But I am a manager, so I try to dress nicely. This doesn't work out every day (we all have our bad days), but more often than not, I am in heels and a skirt and look like a professional.

I know there are plenty of people who work from home. Usually this is in their pajamas or in "athleisure" (why is that a word?!?) for maximum comfort. My general rule is that if I am talking to someone who is working from home, I try not to wonder what they are wearing.

What I am saying is: There are a lot of days in which the struggle to find something appropriate to wear is very real.

As with most things in life, happily I am not alone. The casualization (also not a word...but let's go with it) of our clothing choices has increased rapidly over the last few decades. All of this movement makes me wonder what my son will be wearing by the time he has a job. (It better not be one of those metallic silver jumpsuits from space shows...)

But for now, he will continue to wear his school uniform: Khaki, denim or blue bottoms and any solid color polo shirt. That wasn't what he voted for, but he took the loss well, saying he could always vote again next year.

Do you like your school's dress policy? Tell me about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment