Monday, May 22, 2017

Getting permission to post

My son was looking at the Waze app on my phone, alerting me to potential traffic in areas that were not actually on our route. He must have closed the app, because he started asking me about the other apps and what they did.

"I know what Twitter is," he said. "Do you tweet about me?"

I said that I only used Twitter to read news and see my mother's latest recipes. I mentioned that I do talk about him on my blog, but that I never use his name. 

"What kind of stories do you tell about me?" he asked. 

"Good ones," I said. 

"Oh. That's OK then." And he continues asking me about the apps on my phone.

My son is very similar to most other children - they don't mind when their parents post about them, as long as it is positive. They also want to know about it ahead of time.

As parents, it is hard to remember to ask permission before we post information about our little ones, but it is really important to keep in mind. Children understand at a very early age that online is forever and they don't want embarrassing stories publicly posted for everyone to see.

That is fair: Would you want your most embarrassing moments online for everyone to eventually read about?

Do you ask your children's permission before you post about them online? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment