Friday, January 13, 2017

Spending time with others

Because my son is an only child, he tells me that he gets "bored" and "lonely" quite frequently on the weekends. I am not sure if this is a result of him being an only child or not, as it generally happens after his screentime is up and he is unsure of what he wants to do next.
Bored and unfocused.

It never lasts for long, which is good, because I try to be sensitive to his loneliness. I have an older brother, and although we didn't get along or play together well, he was still around. Lonely is a concept that single children have to learn how to combat early.

But loneliness is actually a feeling that all of us have to learn how to combat - whether we are only children or not - because feelings of loneliness actually reduces our lifespan.

Some people may look at that link and reach the conclusion that children need to spend more time with their parents in their later years, and that may be the case. But I think we are all responsible for seeking company outside of our families when we need to and to not wait until they seek us out.

Of course, this is how I feel now, and I may need my husband's help to remind me when I feel lonely for my son's company and wondering why he doesn't call me that I could reach out and call him.

Who do you like to spend time with when you are lonely? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment