Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Spending too much time alone

Like most parents, sometimes I just want to be left alone. You know, just for a few minutes. Long enough to read a few emails, or take a bath or write a blog post. But, I think most parents wish to be left alone because we all know that it is a short-term situation. Eventually, we will be surrounded by loud noises and chaos and faces with peanut butter on them.

Life is good to us that way.

But, there are people who are terribly lonely. People who just want someone to talk to them for a little while, which is why this in-depth piece on loneliness by the NY Times is so hard to read. Because it turns out that talking isn't enough.

It helps - don't get me wrong - talking is important. But there is an actual need for one-on-one physical interaction that still isn't being met. And, although the article is focused on seniors who live alone, I am sure that there are lots of people who could use more social interaction within their day.

What am I learning from all this? Well, it makes me realize that I need to maintain my hobbies that put me around other people. In fact, I may need some new ones - just in case.

Do you have hobbies that give you social interaction? Tell me what they are in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment