Tuesday, August 23, 2016

It must be hard being a guy

I am super glad that I am a woman.

Like most people, I have thought about what life must be like to be the opposite gender (people do think about that, right?) and I have determined that being a guy must be hard. I can't imagine walking around with their equipment all day or having difficulty focusing on something and shoes at the same time. That seems weird to me.

The truth is, both genders have their struggles. Women, for example, face a lot of issues around equality at work. And sociologists have recently determined that men experience the greatest amount of stress and health issues when they have to take on the role of sole breadwinner. (Women, on the other hand, take a lot of pride in being the one who provides for the family.)

My husband and I have - at various times in our relationship - been the sole income earner for our family. It is stressful. It is hard. But, it turns out that it might have been harder for him than it was for me. I have found that life seems to work out a little better when we both have jobs, so I am happy that is the case for us right now.

I guess what I am saying is: Thanks, honey. Thanks for being there for me and our family when I've needed you to be.

Are you the sole breadwinner for your family? Tell me how you feel about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment