Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Who had the worse night last night?

Waking up my son for school in the morning is better than the theater. There could be over-the-top goofiness and slapstick antics that is fun to watch (in small doses), or there could be the tears, accusations and casting of curses that you normally find in a Greek tragedy. Or it could be both.

No matter what the situation, between the bouncing around or the statements of "I'm the tiredest boy who ever lived in the whole universe," I always try to ask my son how he slept. On his good days, he will tell me that he slept fine; on the Greek-tragedy days he will tell me that he only slept for an hour and it is mean that I've woken him up so soon - don't I know that little boys need 9-10 hours of sleep at night?

The boy doth protest too much, methinks. But at least he knows how much sleep he should be getting.

Overall, it's a good thing that I am asking him, as we parents sometimes project our own sleep quality onto our children. Have you had a stressful week at work and aren't sleeping as well as you normally do? Then, you will tend to think that your child isn't sleeping well either. Get a new mattress and have the best sleep of your life? Then you will think that your child has been getting enough sleep, too.

So, I ask my son how he slept. And I will ask him if he dreamed. And I will do my best to make sure he goes to bed on time.

Who gets the least amount of sleep in your family? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment