Friday, April 1, 2016

What's your retirement plan?

I'm only in my mid-30s. I love my job and my current life, but sometimes I like to fantasize about my retirement. My current plans include my husband and I living in a cabin in the mountains somewhere where our son can come and visit us when he wants his family to enjoy some snow.

These plans might change of course, and I know that I have to work hard and save now to get there, but the idea of being able to relax and enjoy life with my husband is the goal.

The reality is that a lot of people are unable to retire, and they work well past their retirement age. For some people, it's because they have to, and for others it is because they enjoy the work. For those who are actually able to retire, there is good news: They are finding that their lives are far better - including more sleep, more exercise and more enjoyment of their favorite hobbies.

I think the key to that study is that the people reporting all the benefits of retirement are the ones who still lead full and enriching lives with their friends, families and activities in life that they truly enjoy.

This gives me some hope. I love the idea that the years with my husband will just keep getting better and better. And that we might one day get our little cabin in the woods.

What's your retirement dream? Tell me in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Soon to become a reality. To have time with my husband, time (and energy) to follow my interests, be available to support my adult kids. And to be happy and reconciled with the choices of a lifetime. (Pied a terra in France wouldn't go amiss either, but.....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely, Mimi! I will send out happy thoughts for your traveling dreams.

      Delete