Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Growing up tall

When some of us were children, we wanted to be ballerinas or cowboys or astronauts. We wanted to be teachers or parents or scientists. When I was a little girl, I wanted to be shorter.

I'll explain.

I have always been tall. When I was little, I towered over my friends, my Mother never had to hem my skirts and my long-sleeved shirts never fit quite right. Now that I am older and still quite tall, I still tower over my friends, I buy extra long pants and avoid long-sleeved shirts. But I would still love to be just a little bit shorter.

Many people, I realize, have the opposite problem to the degree that they worry about their stature and seek medical advice on it. And once you rule out any underlying health issues, there are only so many avenues to pursue. It turns out that a recent study on parental concerns over short stature has found that parents are really seeking help for any long-lasting psychological issues that may develop from being shorter than average.

I don't know what it feels like to be too short, but I can imagine the range of emotions. Whereas I felt like I stood out in every crowd, someone who is shorter may feel lost in it. There is some awkwardness with height differences while dating. And I know that it is hard to dress professionally when you have to worry about your size - tall or short.

Do you feel that you are too tall or too short? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment