Tuesday, December 23, 2014

How old do you feel?

A few weeks ago, one of my coworkers asked me how old I was. She said she wanted to know because I seemed to have too much energy. I asked her to guess, and she said 28.

First of all, I thanked her, since I am actually in my mid-thirties. She seemed shocked and asked my secret. I explained that my son reminds me to stay young. He and I play lots of games, and I try to look at the world through his eyes. So, that means that I try to take everything with a grain of salt.

This must be working, because I feel young, which is a good thing. Early research suggests that the younger you feel; the longer you live.

So how do we stay young? This is what I'm trying.
  • Be active. The more we move, the more limber we are. The more limber we are the better we feel when we wake up.
  • Play more often. Build castles out of blocks, build forts with blankets and color whenever possible. I find that after some playtime, I am less stressed.
  • Play with friends. My husband and I play board games. My coworkers and I do silly activities together to keep us connected. It's OK to play as adults. (Just get your work done, too.)
  • Enjoy your own hobbies. I am trying to make time for things I like to do. If this means I have to let go of some chores, then that works for me.
  • Separate work and play. I do my best to not think about work after I leave the office. Home time is for family.
What do you like to do to feel younger than your actual age? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment