Monday, April 7, 2014

The results of the media diet

Last week, I came across the term media diet and decided to track my own use of media throughout a typical week. I was especially interested in seeing how much I used media (specifically, my smartphone, the computer and TV) in front of my impressionable son.

So, let me explain the rules I set for myself: I use a computer all day at work, so I didn't factor that time into my data set. I did, however, include any time I used my phone for a personal matter while at the office (which isn't much). 

What I didn't realize is that I would run into a gray area when compiling my data. I tend to listen to podcasts while driving to and from work (it's a long commute). My son is definitely not present in the car while those podcasts play, but I felt like that was a media use, so I included that number.

So, here are my results:

Monday
Computer: 80 minutes, no son present

Phone: 20 minutes, no son present
TV: none
Podcasts: 40 minutes, no son present

Tuesday 
Computer: 50 minutes, no son present
Phone: 10 minutes, no son present
TV: 30 minutes, no son present
Podcasts: 40 minutes, no son present

Wednesday
Computer: 40 minutes
, no son present
Phone: 10 minutes, no son present
TV: 60 minutes, no son present
Podcasts: none

Thursday
Computer: 40 minutes
, no son present
Phone: 10 minutes, no son present
TV: 60 minutes, no son present
Podcasts: 40 minutes, no son present

Friday 
Computer: 50 minutes, no son present
Phone: 10 minutes, no son present
TV: 45 minutes, no son present
Podcasts: none

Saturday
Computer: 20 minutes, no son present
Phone: 20 minutes, no son present
TV: 30-minute yoga video with son; 2 hours, no son present
Podcasts: none

Sunday 
Computer: 10 minutes with son present; 50 minutes, no son present
Phone: 20 minutes
TV: 30-minute yoga video with son; 60 minutes, no son present
Podcasts: none

So, from this week I've learned a few things. First, I spend most of my computer time on my blog and podcast. And those times when I am watching TV, I usually also have my laptop with me so I can work a bit and half pay attention to the shows. (I don't get a lot done, but I am at least in the same room as my husband.) Secondly, I mostly use my phone for games - so that short time every day is when I am defeating my husband at Hanging with Friends (or at least trying to). Finally, I think I've subconsciously fixed my schedule so that I am not working on my computer or watching TV when my son is around me, because all those minutes I logged were either before he woke up or after he went to bed.

Overall, I am proud of myself. I had hoped that I was setting a good example for my son and it turns out I'm not doing too bad of a job. How about you? Are you ready to take the challenge and see how you fare? If you are feeling brave, share your results in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment