Monday, March 31, 2014

What's on your media diet?

I read the term "media diet" the other day. (Is that a thing now?)

I have given some thought (probably not enough) to the foods that I prepare for my family and the ways to make them healthier, but I have never thought to apply the idea of "diet" to non-food items.

So, clearly, the term caught my attention. And, since I am so screen time focused, I figured that I might want to see what my own media diet consists of. After all, I tout all sort of grand ideas for what kind of changes I want to make when it comes to media use, so it would be good to get some sort of baseline, right?

Besides, I am curious as to the kind of example I am setting for my son.

So, for the next week, I am going to try and keep a media diary to see what I consume on my computer, the TV and my phone - both within and outside of my son's radar.

You can play along, too. Just record the following information:

Media source (TV, computer, phone, other)
Length of time
Visible to your child? Yes or No

Let's see how we do.

Any guesses as to how you'll fare? Make them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment