Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The art of a good snuggle

My son is a big boy (or so he keeps telling me). But, when the pajamas are on and the bedtime books have been read, he still wants his snuggle time with Mommy. He curls his little body into mine, sticks his cold toes against me and tells me things that melt my heart ("You smell so good. Just like a Mommy." or "I can hear your heart beat and it is beautiful.")

So, yes, I am raising my son to be a snuggler.

I know that I am fortunate, in that he was always a snugly baby. Although he never slept in our bed, he had a habit of sleeping on us whenever possible. He even loved to be swaddled in what can only be described as an almost shrink-wrapped style. I loved the way he giggled and wiggled when we tickled his oh-so-soft skin fresh from the bath.

So, I'm kind of surprised that there is a study indicating that babies like to be touched. (Really? Is that a thing that people don't know?) I'm just kidding - we all know that. Rather, the study is about the exact infant responses to touch that may actually be helping to strengthen parent-child bonds.

And that, is a very study worthy. Most babies are touch magnates - especially for women. But there are some genetic influences to the way that babies liked to be touched. If Mom, for instance, doesn't like light touches, then baby may not like them either.

So far, it seems that my son has the same sensitivity as my husband. I can say that because they are both crazy ticklish. I am not ticklish (no, really, I'm not), although I used to be when I was younger, it was not with the same intensity as my husband and son, and evidently, I grew out of it.

But, I am a good snuggler. So, I will pass along the art of a good snuggle for as long as my son lets me.

Did you ever try baby massage with your little one? Mine didn't go for it, but I loved the idea of it. As your child has grown, how do you incorporate the oh-so-important sense of touch into their day?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so lucky both boys still love to snuggle. Maybe this will end up being the point where I embarrass them later in life; I'll end up trying to snuggle with them in the drop of line for middle school or even high school. I just hope it's not vice versa or I'll be embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think snuggling is something that should be done at any time of day - school drop off line or whenever!

      Delete