Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Go nuts, Moms

If you haven't been paying attention, I love peanut butter. I cannot quite describe my love of peanut butter accurately, but let me just say that if I was positive my husband wouldn't look at me funny, I would eat it straight from the jar with a spoon in front of him. (I may or may not have done this outside of his eyesight; I'm not telling.)


Image by Shawn Carpenter
I am saddened to think that there are lots of children who will never know the joy of peanut butter because of peanut allergies. But maybe we moms can fix that.

You see, a study published in JAMA Pediatrics suggests mothers-to-be who enjoyed a peanut-rich diet had children with significantly lower allergy levels. As long as the mother isn't allergic to nuts, she can safely eat them throughout her pregnancy (and yes, I know that the peanut is a legume, but it has the word nut in it, so I am grouping it in with all the other nuts.)

So moms-to-be, go ahead and have that handful of almonds, that macadamia nut cookie or even dip that celery stick into the peanut butter jar. It's good for you and your baby.

Anyone have any good peanut butter recipes? My husband thinks peanut butter is an ingredient and not a meal on its own, so please share them with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment