Friday, June 7, 2019

Mom, will you watch my kid?

I love watching my parents interact with their grandchildren. Whether or not they realize it, they are always beaming, or looking incredibly interested in the most mundane topics or have a look on their face that says, "this child before me can do no wrong."

I know my son absolutely adores the time that he gets to spend with them, and he is always so bummed when that time comes to an end. He protests that they have to leave; he declares that he could just go home with them and he complains that the time together is not enough.

What he doesn't realize is that the time he spends with them is probably keeping them younger. Research has shown that caregiving activities can help keep older folks living longer.

That is a pretty powerful statement. But I can understand how it is true: When we take care of someone else we feel needed and wanted. When we care for someone younger than us, we are probably learning something new in the process. All of those things lead to keeping the mind and body actively engaged in the present.

My son has another magical summer planned, but maybe I need to review it and find a few free days that he can spend with his grandparents. Because spending time with them is meaningful for everyone. And that is definitely worth making time for.

How often do your children get to spend time with their grandparents? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment