Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Counting on yourself

My son is working through a math problem for his homework. (Not the one in the picture; that is slightly above third-grade math.) The problem only takes him a few seconds and he is upset because he has to show his work and not just complete it in his head. I let him grumble and complain through it, because in the end I will be able to remind him that it is a good skill to be able to complete math problems both ways - in the head and on paper.

I know my son likes math. This makes me lucky. Now, I just need to keep him liking math. I've read through plenty of advice columns saying that parents shouldn't negatively affect their child's view of math with negative phrases (like saying "I hate math" when they are frustrated with real world word problems).

And what will keep my son liking math as he gets older? It turns out that it is mostly an internal motivation. Good grades or my praise will mean nothing to him as he starts doing harder math in school: Excelling at math and learning how to do it is its own reward.

Since that study was completed with teenagers I know that we have quite a few years before that internal motivation kicks in for my son. In the meantime, I still need to seek out the mix of external motivation that keeps him involved and willing to show his work.

What would have kept you motivated to do math when you were younger? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment