Friday, September 28, 2018

How's your inner peace these days?

In one of the Kung Fu Panda movies - I think it is the second one, but I've watched them with my son so many times that they kind of blur together - Po has to find his inner peace. I do recall the first time I saw that movie and thought, "Inner peace - what's that like?"

To be clear: My comment wasn't about stress. I think I have a normal amount of stress in my life. My comment was more about my inability to calm my thoughts. My mind is always buzzing. Here's a random sample of the things I was thinking about before I sat down to write this post:
  • Let me grab this book and bring it upstairs.
  • Where's the cat?
  • Oh, there's the cat. On the stairs. Great.
  • This book goes on the shelves, but I'll put it on the shelf when I walk back that way. 
  • For now, I'll put it here on my desk.
  • What's that sound?
  • I love those shelves that my wonderful husband made.
  • My right brake light needs to be looked at. I should write that down.
  • I still love my car a lot.
  • My son is humming in the shower.
  • I don't know that song.
  • When I am done writing my blog posts I should clean out the litter box and put the book back on the shelf as I pass it.
  • My car needs to be washed.
 And on, and on, and on.

Part of me likes the activity - buzz, buzz, buzz goes my little bee self thinking through items and plotting out my next moves. So, it is hard for me to think about what it would be like to have a quiet mind.

Which is a shame. Because if we want to raise our child to be mindful, we have to have inner peace ourselves. While I do my best to actively listen to my son and stay in control of my emotions and stay emotionally balanced...I'm not great at the staying-in-the-present-moment thing.

He may need to learn that from his Dad.

In the meantime, I need to wrap up this post so I can put a book away and clean out the litter box.

What do you do to practice mindfulness in your daily life? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment