Monday, January 22, 2018

The singing Mommy

I am not a very good singer.

I am the person who tells others that my gift to them is not singing happy birthday to them. I don't participate in karaoke and I will pretend not to know the words to songs to not join in a public sing along.

I will, however, sing to when I am listening to music alone. Or to my family members on occasion - like when my son was little, or something funny to my wonderful husband or even with my Mom. Those people are family. They are safe. And, of course, whenever I am alone in the car I am going to belt out my favorite songs that come on the radio because the windows are up and you can't hear me. (Also: You are welcome.)

Do I feel good when I sing? Maybe. I never really thought about it, but I know many people who truly enjoy it. And, interestingly, a small study has found that singing may help women who are suffering from postpartum depression. It's unclear from the study if it was the community support that the women received to encourage them to learn new lullabies or if it was the act of singing to their child that helped, but I think the results are amazing. Since postpartum depression affects so many women, it is beneficial to try a number of methods to help them through it.

And, for women like me who don't sing very well, it is important to keep in mind that all babies love their Mommy's voice. Even when that voice can't carry a tune.

Did you enjoy singing to your baby when they were little? Do you still sing with them now that they are older? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment