Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The potty training will eventually happen

There is nothing that quite prepares you for parenthood. At no point of time before I had my son would I have believed that I would one day be genuinely proud of another human being for using the toilet.

But, yup. I was crazy proud the first time my son used the potty.

When we went through potty training with our son, I ran through a never-ending cycle of emotions and thoughts: He can do it/he's too young still/he doesn't want to/I thought we were making progress/what do other parents do about this/are we failures/I think he's got it now/nope, he definitely doesn't...

Potty training experts have a wide range of advice, but they all agree that your child will eventually learn. (Pretty words, but not helpful when you are in the throes of trying to convince your child to give up on diapers.)

So - probably because that phase of my life is so far in our past - I found this look at potty training methods across the world really fascinating. Would any of this information have helped us when we were going through it? Who knows.

What I do know is that I will need a very similar article for when my son starts to learn how to drive.

Did you have any magic tips when you tried to potty train your child? Share them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment