Friday, November 10, 2017

The baby is crying

Let's go back to when you were a first-time Mom and your baby started crying. What did you do?

I'm guessing that you picked up the baby, held him close and started talking to him. Shortly after that, the baby calmed down and stopped crying.

Here's the thing: No one had to teach you that. Sure, you may have seen other mothers do that but unless you have taken one of those incredibly detailed parenting classes that give step-by-step instructions for every single thing, no one expressly told you to pick up the baby, hold her close and talk to her.

So, here is the very cool thing: We all do it. All of us. Automatically. It doesn't matter what country you are from or the socioeconomic background you have, new Moms are hard-wired to take those steps to soothe their crying infant.

Why is this useful to know?

I think, if we all look back at being a first-time parent, we will remember how freaked out we were and that we felt we didn't actually know what we were doing. (I still don't know what I am doing most days.) So, I think it is pretty cool that my biology took care of me in the case of my crying son.

Thanks, Science!

What was your greatest worry when you first brought home your baby? Share those early-day fears in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment