Friday, September 29, 2017

Making peace with your Mother

From a non-scientific, small study of my peers, I have determined that I have an abnormal relationship with my Mother. It's not abnormal in a bad way - it's actually the opposite: She is a loving, supportive woman who will give me advice when I ask for it, challenges me to be my best self and brings a richness to our family's lives. She is a dynamic lady.

I'm not saying that other people's Moms are not equally fantastic - I am sure your Mom is wonderful, too - but what I hear from a lot of my friends is how they still argue with their Mothers. And, when I dig deeper with them, they tell me that they didn't have a great relationship with their Moms starting back in their teenage years.

I felt bad for these female friends of mine, but now, I have a reason to keep an even closer eye on them: Middle-aged women who are stressed out by their Mothers are more likely to suffer from depression.

There are a lot of hypotheses on that link regarding why daughters (but not sons) suffer from this, but there are a few things that really stood out to me:
  1. I am a lucky kid (thanks, Mom!)
  2. As a Mother, how do you know when to stop acting like a Mother?
I think that last question is one that I will ask my Mom about - perhaps when we are on our girls' trip together this fall working on our blogs. Since she is probably reading this post right now, that will give her some time to ponder her answer.

By the way - have you read my Mom's blog? Check out Modern Maude.

Do you have a stressful relationship with your Mother? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment