Monday, May 29, 2017

Admitting when you are wrong

My son is seven. This is a fun age, because he understands puns, is generally eager to try new things, thinks the world of our family and still loves to snuggle up with me. This is also a trying age since he believes that he "knows enough things now," and is stubborn and vocal about it.

I hear a lot from him about how things are "my fault" or how he is "not wrong."

For example, it is clearly my fault that he was reading while walking, despite being warned about that, and then he walked into a wall. And it is also completely wrong of me to claim that there are birds outside the window in the morning, as he doesn't see them right away, therefore they are not there.

Whatevs.

Most of these counterclaims I take in stride, but if we hit a certain number of them in one day or he is particularly adamant, we sit down and have a reminder chat about consequences. We also discuss how it is uncomfortable to think about, but we are all wrong at some point in our lives.

I also try to lead by example: As a Mom, I try to admit out loud when I am wrong. (Probably not often enough to my poor husband, mind you, but to my son.) I then try to state why I was wrong and what I maybe/hopefully learned from it.

This doesn't really work yet - my son is still never wrong about anything and will fight for his stubborn beliefs. But, the hope is that it will sink in eventually.

That's the hope...I could be wrong.

Do you admit to your children when you are wrong about something? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment