Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The best place to stay

I recently had a very unique situation in my life: My husband and son were gone for the weekend (a camping trip for cub scouts), and I would be alone. This situation - as most Moms will attest - is rare. It is very rare to have the house to yourself for an entire weekend.
Pictured: Not my parents' spare bedroom.

Normally, I would consider spending the weekend getting lots of stuff done around the house and working on some special projects I want to devote time to, but I had a rough week at work and I really, really just wanted someone to take care of me.


So, I went home for the weekend.

I am lucky enough to live close to my wonderful Mother and StepDad, and they welcomed my request to come home for the weekend with open arms and no expectations. And it was lovely: We chatted, we watched a movie together, we chatted some more, we pretended we know how to play mahjong and we were lazy on Sunday morning together.

It was exactly what I needed to face the next week. So, yeah, when I read that more American adults live with their parents than a spouse, I get it. Going home for me was comforting, a special treat and a way to take a break from being an adult for a few days. At least I get it for a little while - and then I would want to go home to my men.

So, a huge hug of thanks to my fantastic Mom and StepDad for keeping a room available for whenever I need to feel like a beloved daughter for a little while.

How do you feel when you visit your parents' home? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment