Friday, April 7, 2017

Funding your maternity leave

When my son was in daycare, there would be a moment right before I would leave where he would cling extra tight to me. He wouldn't cry or beg me not to leave - it was just an extra hug that was hard to part from. His teacher would try to help the transition by saying something along the lines of, "Mommy has to go to work and make that toy money."

It was a sweet sentiment, but it wasn't exactly true: I was a working Mom and was helping to pay for a lot of expenses - including that daycare.

Don't get me wrong - the daycare was a nurturing environment filled with wonderful caretakers, but when I talk to about-to-be-first-time Moms today, I tell them one thing: Stay at home with your baby for as long as you can.

The six weeks I had with my son just were not enough, and I wish we had paid leave laws for all parents.

But, since we don't have that in every state, some women are turning to crowd-funding their maternity leave expenses.

I'm generally not a fan of asking others for monetary gifts, but in this case I am all for it. After all, if you are going to be a parent, you are going to have to get used to doing things that are far outside of your comfort zone.

What do you think about crowd-funded maternity leaves? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment