Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Finding a friend when you are sick

The weather in Charlotte has been crazy lately - it snowed a few weeks ago and then it all melted by mid-afternoon, there have been days with temperatures in the high 70s, only to have it all plummet the next day into the 50s with rain. You know: Spring.

And this is also the time of year when I hear much more hacking and wheezing in the office than I would like. Yes, some of you have legitimate allergies, and I feel for you. As a fellow allergy sufferer, I know how uncomfortable it is to have your sinus canals attack your respiratory system from within. I can hear your suffering - there are tissues in the top drawer of my desk if you need them.

But some of those people are just plain old sick.

I try to set a good example for my employees: When I am sick, I stay home. That doesn't mean that I work from home, either. It means that I take time off to get the rest I need. But I understand that lots of people are going to power through their colds and still get some work done.

But why are you in the office?

All this time, it never occurred to me that people might be coming into the office while they are sick because they are lonely. Evidently, being lonely while you are sick makes you feel worse.

I know this study is small, but is this some sort of mind-control by the viruses that are out to get us? I know I don't enjoy spending time with other people when I am ill...so unless a disease has taken over my brain to make me want to hang out with other people to spread the sickness further...I'll be home in bed.

When's the last time you were sick? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment