Monday, March 13, 2017

The know-it-all in our household

I have made two key points very clear to my son over the past year:
  1. Mommy is not an octopus.
  2. Mommy does not know everything.
The first concept is an acknowledgement that I can't do everything at once, so if he sees me already in the middle of a task, he should not try to add to my workload (most things can wait).

The second point lets him know that it is OK to say "I don't know," but then we should look up the answers so we learn what they are.

And for the most part, we have fun looking up answers, like the time I couldn't remember enough from my 10th grade anatomy class to answer all his questions about how the intestines function, so we found a kid-appropriate video to explain it.

But, I wonder how much longer we will look things up together and when he will realize that he can ask questions of our electronic devices.

Besides the ones on our phones, we've had a digital assistant (Alexa) in our house for a long time now, and although I usually only use it to play music and get a weather report, I know it would be able to answer lots of my son's questions. I'm not sure how I feel about my son going to that device for his questions, or what the long-term repercussions are of having children interact with digital assistants.

For now, I am just happy that he keeps asking Mommy for answers.

Does your family have a digital assistant? How often do your children interact with it? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment