Friday, March 10, 2017

What's that beeping sound?

When my son was a baby, the smoke alarm went off in our home. It was the same ear-piercing alarm that most smoke alarms make, but oddly, he slept right through it. He didn't even flinch. And, he was still sleeping when the firefighters arrived a few minutes later to give us the all clear that the monoxide alarm was malfunctioning.

I have often contributed my son's ability to sleep through that alarm to the fact that he tends to be a deep sleeper. But that may not be the case. It turns out a lot of children are able to sleep through smoke alarms because their bodies are trained to tune out everything that is not a parental voice as they sleep.

My son knows what to do in case of an emergency, but what good does that do him if he isn't able to hear the alarm go off? They do not make smoke detectors that record a parent's voice, but considering how my son is able to tune me out in the morning, I am not sure that is an answer either.

Have you tested your child's reaction to a smoke detector? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment