Monday, December 12, 2016

Living your life for likes

I have always thought that I've done a good job documenting my son's life, especially during his early years, which he will not remember. Here's my list:
  • I took a photo of him every day for the first year of his life. (Mostly because my Mom asked me to, but I am glad that I did it.)
  • I have written him letters since I learned I was pregnant with him.
  • We have loads of pictures and videos of him.
  • I've taken a lot of those pictures and scrapbooked them.
  • His baby book is complete.
But for some families that list wouldn't be enough.

A recent Washington Post article discusses families with children who live their lives on YouTube. The article discusses a very valid question: If your life is recorded for an audience, are you living your life or playing a part? Older children will fare better in making that distinction, of course, but I have to wonder about the long-term effects of knowing that strangers are watching your everyday life.

I am clearly not the person who would sign their family up for this gig, despite the benefits gained in responsibilities (having your children scheduling and creating their own content) and financial rewards (as most sites are money-makers for the families).

In our household, the videos I take of our son's life are just for us.

Is your family interested in creating a YouTube channel? Why or why not? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment