Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Where baby sleeps best

When we brought our son home from the hospital, we made a point of making sure he slept in his own crib in his own room every night. We knew that we didn't want him to sleep in our bedroom, as we reasoned that it would be harder to move him to his own room later on: We weren't worried about him becoming too attached to us, rather we were worried about us becoming too attached to him.

Fast forward six years later, and I am reading that we should have had him in our room, but in his own crib. (At least, for a little while.)

I understand that the research on babies is ever-changing: We know more now about how to reduce risk while infants sleep than ever before in the history of babies. But looking back at the pictures of my son, I wonder if research was ever done on the way he usually slept: On someone.

There are hundreds of photos of our son asleep on us. He had a knack of snuggling up against someone's heartbeat and conking out. I assume that is a good way for babies to sleep, since he was in someone's arms (watched), near his major food source (at least when he was with Mommy) and had the constant lub dub sound of a heartbeat to lull him to dreamland.

I love the fact that we have very smart people around to determine the safest way for babies to sleep, and hopefully this information can continue to be taught to parents. I have a feeling, however, that we still have lots to learn.

In what position did your baby love to sleep? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment