Friday, November 18, 2016

Taking a moment to catch my breath

I took yoga in college, and I loved it. I felt that it was a great way for me to relax my body and my mind in the middle of a hectic workload. I learned how to stretch out my body, how to move for both relaxation and for energy and how to breathe.

It's funny how often I forget about that last part.

I still sometimes do yoga with my son now (nothing like the college stuff, though, and maybe I need to get back to that). I feel like a lot of children's yoga has way too much movement in it and we never sit still long enough to catch our breath. That seems like the wrong message.

Breathing is (obviously) important, but for more reasons than we think. It is, for example, a natural stress reliever and a natural energizer. You just have to know how to do it right. So, I'm bringing breathing back to my day. (Yes, I know how dumb that sentence looks.) But my hope is that if I learn how to do it right then I can pass it on to my son and he can grow up with the right breathing habits in place.

Let's all take a deep breath together and see how this goes...

Do you participate in any breathing exercises during your day? Tell me about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment