Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Love now = love later on in life

It must have been a particularly bad dream.

My son doesn't have bad dreams very often, but this one was awful enough for him to leave his bed, make his way down the stairs and traverse through the dark all the way to our bedroom. I woke at the sound of our door opening. He wasn't crying, but I did let him climb into bed with me for a moment.

After a few minutes, I took him back to his room and agreed to snuggle him for a bit. When I left him, he was mostly asleep, but at the sound of me leaving the room, he said, "I love you more than anyone."

We all want our children to feel loved, and as parents, we spend a lot of time reinforcing that idea. That feeling of safety and serenity is important for children, and - evidently - can affect them for their entire lives.

In a long-term study (seriously - it is a 78-year long study), researchers were able to gather enough data to show that men who come from warm and loving homes have more secure marriages later on in life. By having participants answer questions about their health and relationships for nearly eight decades, the authors of the study were able to track various relationships and men's ability to manage their emotions in a healthy way.

It's amazing to think that hugs can really last a lifetime.

How do you show affection in your family? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment