Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Did not; did too!

Throughout my childhood, there was an invisible barrier in the backseat of the car called "The Liberty Line." The naming of this barrier is questionable, I know, but my brother came up with it (I think). The point of the line was that it was the DMZ of the car and the one spot in the backseat that should not be crossed.
Sometimes they are friends; sometimes the cookies crumble.

The problem with invisible barriers is that if they can't be seen, then they don't have to be adhered to.


At this point, I should probably say "Sorry, Mom," and then thank her and my Dad for getting the minivan so my brother and I could have completely separate seats.

Siblings fight. Even the ones who claim to be best friends as adults fought as children. I was surprised to learn how often children fight: One study puts it at once every 9.5 minutes for the 2- to 4-year-old crowd.

Seriously, I am sorry, Mom.

But all that fighting with our sibling is supposed to help teach conflict resolution. The idea is that parents don't take sides and let their children figure things out.

Which is how we ended up with a Liberty Line.

The problem is that at a certain point - let's call it the point just before a physical altercation - parents need to step in. But that is a very hard moment to gauge. And if you don't gauge it correctly, everyone loses.

Siblings are complicated. Maybe that is another reason why I am still happy with just one child.

What kind of compromises did you and your siblings come up with? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment