Friday, October 21, 2016

Staying home with the kids

Traffic is what did me in.

I had it all planned out: I left work a little earlier than normal, I had a route home that avoided the major roads and I was excited. I was going to make it to my son's school in time for curriculum night.

There is never enough time, is there?
A few traffic accidents and 35 extra minutes tacked onto my drive later, and I pulled into my driveway. We had just enough time to visit his book fair before curriculum night ended.

He wasn't upset with me - he was happy to get more books at the fair - but I was upset with me. I had really wanted to be there for him.

It is these types of moments that make me wonder if his life might be better if I was a stay-at-home Mom. After all, most Americans think that children are better off with a stay-at-home parent.

But then, I start to think about my job and how much I love it. And how much easier our lives are with two income earners. What would my son's life be like if I was home for him in the afternoons but we didn't have that extra income?

Like most parents I think about the life balance I currently have and always wonder if it is the right one. There is no easy answer.

But who said having children would be easy?

Are you a working parent who wishes they could stay at home with your children? Tell me in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment