Friday, September 30, 2016

Mommy says yes to books

Earlier this week, I wrote about my struggle to incorporate math into the bedtime story routine. (Still working/not working on that one.) Part of that struggle comes from the fact that I have always enjoyed reading more than math. So, I am always on the lookout for a good book deal.
Books on shelves = one of my favorite things

Before my son was born, I visited a bookstore that was having a going-out-of-business sale and quickly snatched up tons of books that my son wouldn't be able to enjoy for many, many years. After my son was born, I quickly discovered my local used bookshops so that we could pay significantly less money for the books he wants on his shelves. And of course, the library's staff knew me by name when I came to pick up my weekly online order.

I would like to think that I would put all this effort into my getting my child books whether he was born a boy or a girl, but researchers are finding that gender differences may play a role in how much money a family spends on books. The (somewhat small) U.K. study believes that parents are spending more money on books for girls than for boys.

But I have many questions about this study. Are parents really buying fewer books for their sons (which would indicate boys are less interested in reading) or are girl's books more expensive than boys or non-gendered books (a thing we know happens).

I am not sure of the answer. What I am sure of is that parents are paying attention to the idea that reading at home is important, no matter what your gender.

And that makes me happy.

What's the last book you bought for your son or daughter? Tell me the title in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment