Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Embracing your inner slob

I like a neat house. I am not the type of person who cannot sleep if the house is messy, but I will make sure to give it a thorough clean on the weekend when I can devote some real time to doing so. When my home is clean, I feel more calm and rested in it.
Look at all those shelves!

I have been in other people's homes where I have been uncomfortable with the amount of things around me. (Maybe I have "stuff claustrophobia.") I can vividly recall a bizarre episode of visiting a friend's home in college and being slightly lightheaded over the sheer amount of stuff on the floor (he acted like it was a really low shelf), and then going into shock when I learned he had free-range pet ferret. It was hairless. (Let's never talk about this again.)

But the point is that he was happy living like that. There are loads of television shows and books about de-cluttering your home and your life and teaching organization techniques. I know that I have spent a considerable amount of time brainwashing my son into my line of thinking so he now believes that shelves and drawers and order are the best things ever. 

Now I need to teach him that not everyone lives their life that way, and it's OK.

Because, sometimes "messy" is needed. And maybe it's good for us to remember that and let everyone find their own state of organization. I will make sure my son learns that lesson...one day. For now, he still has to pick up the Legos from his floor.

Who does the majority of the picking up in your household? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment