Monday, August 1, 2016

Living life on default mode

When I look at my phone, I see all the apps that I use the most on my first screen. I took all those factory apps that I never use and stuck them in a folder so I could have more room, and put the apps that I have to have but rarely use on a secondary screen. At the time, I thought of this as me staying organized, but after reading this piece on how default settings rule the world, I see that I have more work to do.

I am very good about changing some of my default settings (my ringtone, my alarm tone, the settings on my computer), but for other things, I have left it on the factory default settings. And I can't figure out if that is me being lazy or me just not caring. But the article linked above does have a good point around how position and placement makes a huge change in how we go about our days.

So, maybe I need to spend some time thinking about where I put things. (And I would like to apologize in advance to my sweet husband, as he may soon be faced with re-organized shelves or a pantry). But even more importantly, I need to show my son how he doesn't have to accept the default settings in life.

I am sure this will come back to haunt me in some way when he decides to re-arrange something in the household to his tastes, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Do you leave items in your household on default setting or do you customize them to your preferences? Tell me in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment