Friday, July 29, 2016

The height I once was

I am shrinking.

I take a bone supplement every day, try to walk more often to stretch out my stuffed-behind-a-desk-all-day body and even recently got a new mattress, and yet, I am shrinking.

I'm sure it was happening gradually all along, but the problem is I hadn't had my height officially measured in a long time. And then a few weeks ago, I participated in a health screening where they officially took my height and I was shorter than I expected.

"It happens to all of us," the nurse said.

The nurse, who seemed like a calm, rational individual, didn't seem to think it was a big deal, but it does bother me more than I would like.

Since then, I've noticed that a few of my trouser hems drag a little, whereas before they were the perfect length - a constant reminder that gravity is slowly dragging me down to its level with every step I take.

I should take some comfort in the fact that adults overall have reached their peak heights some years ago and are averaging out much shorter than in the previous decade. But no, that didn't help.

What finally did help was my son, who likes to measure his height against my body. He is now at my sternum and was so excited that he said he would be taller than me when he grew up.

"Will you reach the things off the high shelves for me that I can't reach anymore?" I asked him.

"Of course, Mommy. I would do anything for you." he said.

I feel better now.

What height did you always wish you were? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment