Monday, July 18, 2016

A few wishes for my hero

Today is my Mom's birthday.

I won't disclose her age, but it strikes me that she has spent more than half her life as a central figure in my life: She has raised me into the woman I am today, she has been my rock when I falter, she is the one of the few people in life I enjoy cooking with, and she is always there for me when I need her.

Birthdays are funny things - we celebrate our bodies successfully completing another trek around the sun and the passage of time. A lot can happen in a year, and yet sometimes it feels like nothing at all is actively happening.

Looking back at the past year with my Mom, I wish I had spent more time with her, I wish I had asked her more questions, I wish we had more afternoons spent with quiet and a cup of tea.

Hopefully, I won't be wishing all of these things again next year at this time.

What I do know is this: Moms shape the world. When we are little, Moms are the center of our lives. We slowly push our Moms away and they orbit us for awhile, until they take comet-like projections and dip in occasionally to check on us. No matter our age, we need our Moms to make sure we are still where we need to be in life

Yes, I may have taken the celestial metaphor too far, but the point is this:

Mom, I love you to the moon and back. Thanks for everything you do for me. And I hope you smile on your birthday.

What do you want to tell your Mom today? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment