Friday, July 15, 2016

When you leave the room, turn off the light

When I was a Girl Scout, we were taught about recycling and saving water. Full of my righteous knowledge of how to save the earth, I would nag family members at home if they left lights on or faucets running too long.

Here we are, 30 years later, and life hasn't changed. 

Researchers took a group of Girl Scouts (yes, really), split them into two groups and taught each group ways to save energy. One group was taught about residential energy saving measures like turning off the lights, and the other group was taught about alternative methods of transportation to save energy such as biking to work. And, like good little scouts, they went home and immediately lectured their parents. 

But here's the thing: The group that became the light switch police in their family's home actually did influence their families to turn off the lights more often. (In fairness to the other group, it is really hard to convince your Dad to bike to work, but I am certain those girls tried.)

All of this makes me wonder if I was part of some sort of recycling/water conservation study when I was younger and just didn't know it. Or maybe, Girl Scouts are just really good leaders in the ways to improve our world.

If you were a scout when you were little, what is one of your favorite memories? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment