Tuesday, June 28, 2016

When Mommy needs a time out

Sometimes my son pushes me over the edge. It's part of his growing up - he pushes his boundaries and learns the consequences of disrespect. My patience level - like all parents - varies. There are days when I can shake it off, and then there are days when I yell.

We aren't supposed to yell at our children, but most parents do. For most of us, it's a reaction to a moment of frustration. And a lot of us feel bad afterward.

So how do we learn not to yell at our children? There are lots of tips out there, but you have to find the one that works best for you. Common ones include:

  • An age check. Sometimes you can reset your expectation of your child's abilities by saying "What are you, six?" to remind yourself that you may be asking too much.
  • Counting to 10. It's never worked for me, but maybe I count too fast.
  • Walking away. This one works well if your child doesn't follow you. 
For me, I like a time out. For me. I've told my son that Mommy sometimes needs a time out from him because adults get grumpy, too.

Does this work every time? No. But like most things about parenthood, it's a work in progress.

What are your tips for not yelling at your child? Share them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment